Hard-fought uncertain week end until the end on Airola circuit for the second meeting of Polini Italian Cup in Campania where tests were influenced by bad weather, even though races were in the sun. In Scooter 70 Evolution Open, Race 1, Corsi wins for just 0.007 thousandths of second gain over Tiraferri, who wins Race 2. Great duels and endless show in all other classes. Double victories for: Simone Bartolini (Scooter 94 Big Evolution Open), Marco Moroni (Scooter One-Brand 70 Evolution), Gabriele Camorcia (Pit Bike XP 125 4T), Matteo Piacentini (Scooter Vespa Classic 135cc.). One victory each for Roberto Pagliaccia and Luca Zani in Scooter 70 Evolution Funs.
Competitors in this second test of Polini Italian Cup 2013 were welcomed, on the wonderful installation lying in Campania, by strong gusts of wind, storms and winter cold. A paradoxical situation for this period of the year, especially in South Italy, but riders of the six classes were not scared. After the heavy rain on Saturday and hail on Sunday morning, the sun and the high wind dried the circuit, which has the same kind of asphalt as Mugello, and was the place of really exciting defies, most of which were decided on photo-finish. This is the show of Polini Italian Cup!
70 EVOLUTION OPEN: WHAT A PHOTO-FINISH!
Matteo Tiraferri, after the absolute mastery in the first round in Pomposa, shows up very strong and in pole position in Airola too, but on the first turn after the semaphore, Filippo Corsi takes the leadership of Race 1. The reigning champion is stuck to his exhaust pipe and the show of the two official Polini riders kicks off; they exchange their positions several times in the ten laps of this really exciting fight. Matteo manages to overtake Filippo on the last bend, while Filippo is better to get out of the turning. The finish line is decided on photo-finish: Corsi beats his team mate on the line for just 7 thousandths, an incredible coming with Niccolò Castellini to complete the podium, 8 seconds later. Race 2 starts in the name of Corsi and Tiraferri. During the first half race, they ride coupled while trying to overtake each other at every bend. The breakthrough occurs on the sixth lap when Filippo Corsi slides and is bound to leave the fight for victory. Lonely final for Tiraferri and second position for Corsi, who recovers the position by overtaking Giuseppe Longo in the last turns.
94 BIG EVOLUTION OPEN: BARTOLINI GETS A POKER
“Big-sized” scooters pole position is for Julien Vitali, in the first row with Ricco Ripepi and Simone Bartolini. In the first laps of Race 1 Ripepi leads the group, but victory is the wild card till the last lap, with the protagonists of tests continually jostling. At the end of 10 laps, Bartolini overcomes Vitali for just a hundredth. Ripepi is third, slightly overdistanced. Race 2 proposes again the trio Bartolini-Ripepi-Vitali, tagging along all race with constant distances. Ripepi’s sprint, on the last lap, takes the rider from Calabria to the head of race on the last sprint, but cannot shut his trajectory and at the end of the bend leaves his first position to Bartolini; he gets a poker after the two victories in Pomposa, as Vital is second. Ripepi settles for third position, even though the absolute record on the circuit belongs to him, 50”594; it is half second quicker than Tiraferri, Corsi and the other best riders.
VESPA CLASSIC 135cc: PIACENTINI’S DOUBLE VICTORY
Filippo Corsi is the guest star; Polini’s official rider, former winner in 70 Open, starts up with Vespa MDM Racing on behalf of Benini, is among the protagonists. After few turns, Corsi is overtaken by Piacentini, who wins and overdistances Corsi by almost two seconds. Marco Leaso is third, with ten seconds gap, and keeps the position, despite 20 seconds penalty for advanced start. Race 2, as the first, is a matter among the Tuscan Corsi and the Venetian Piacentini who firmly takes the leadership, after a skirmish.
70 EVOLUTION FUNS: A LAND TO CONQUER
Pole position is for Luca Zani, the man to defeat on this cold Sunday in Campania, who immediately takes the head of Race 1, and leaves behind Simone Prischi. Zani rides too long and gets out of race, as Roberto Pagliaccia leads and cuts the finish line before Niccolò Nuti and Valentino De Santis. Zani gets the circuit again, but is last, two laps late. At Race 2 start, Zani sprints before all. Prischi and Pagliaccia are a compact group behind the trail blazer and try to reach the pole man. After many “strategy” laps, Prischi overtakes Zani and consolidates the trio, that offers an excellent show in the two last laps, till the final sprint. At the end Zani wins with 19 thousandths advantage over Prischi. De Santis steals the third place from Pagliaccia on the last bend.
ONE-BRAND 70 EVOLUTION: THE FALL OF THE CHAMPION
Moroni loses the leadership he conquered in the test, all to the good of Tognarelli. The defy gets interesting at half race when Moroni recovers the lost positions and pulls ahead of all rivals and flies to a lonely victory. The intense battle for podium is decided at photo-finish this time too, when Christian Picciallo is at second place and Filippo Tognarelli at third place, and 2 hundredths gap between them. In Race 2, Moroni is the leader this time too, followed by Tognarelli and Picciallo, De Bonifro. Despite the frequent attacks, positions are unvaried till the penultimate lap, when Tognarelli slides and delivers the double victory to Marco Moroni, first place before Picciallo and Fabbri. We point out the bad fall of the reigning champion Carlo Gurrieri, who is bound to withdrawal for some contusions.
PIT BIKE XP 125 4T: THE YOUNG MOVES FORWARD
Gianluca Cuttitta gets off to a flying start, but Gabriele Camorcia launches his winning attack on the second lap and takes control of the race. The two riders run coupled all race long through overtakes, counter-overtakes and sprints up to Superbike race standard. The spectacular duel is decided on the last bend, when Camorcia is the winner, for just 83 thousandths gap over Cuttitta. In Race 2 Cuttitta, Camorcia and Fabbri run by tagging along in the first laps and guarantee the show. Continual leadership changes and violent sprints accompany the test till the last bend, as a fantastic Camorcia takes the best trajectory, right on the last bend, and gets a swell double victory. Two second places for Cuttitta and two third places for Fabbri.
Next race on June 9, on the circuit of Castelletto di Branduzzo (PV).
SCOOTER 70cc EVOLUTION
1. Moroni; 2. Picciallo; 3. Tognarelli; 4. Ziarelli; 5. Del Bonifro; 6. Fabbri; 7. Gurrieri; 8. Zavoli; 9. Mancuso.
1. Moroni; 2. Picciallo; 3. Fabbri; 4. Del Bonifro; 5. Ziarelli; 6. Zavoli; 7. Tognerelli; 8. Mancuso.
1. Moroni 72; 2. Tognarelli 61; 3. Ziarelli 60; 4. Gurrieri 59; 5. Picciallo 58; 6. Zavoli 41; 7. Fabbri 39; 8. Del Bonifro 34; 9. Mancuso 31.
SCOOTER 70cc EVOLUTION OPEN
1. Corsi; 2. Tiraferri; 3. Castellini; 4. Ciacci; 5. Longo; 6. Gabellini; 7. Fontana; 8. Camorcia.
1. Tiraferri; 2. Corsi; 3. Longo; 4. Ciacci; 5. Gabellini; 6. Camorcia.
1. Tiraferri 95; 2. Corsi 85; 3. Longo 47; 4. Castellini 42; 5. Gabellini 42; 6. Roufs 32; 7. Ciacci 26; 8. Scribano 18; 9. Camorcia 18; 10. Garzaro 17; 11. Klazen 14; 12. Gellner 12; 13. Fontana 9; 14. Blaha 5.
VESPA CLASSIC 135cc
1. Piacentini; 2. Corsi; 3. Leaso; 4. Grotto; 5. Segnini; 6. Meucci; 7. Cristofani.
1. Piacentini; 2. Corsi; 3. Leaso; 4. Grotto; 5. Rutigliano; 6. Meneghetti; 7. Segnini; 8. Meucci.
1. Piacentini 95; 2. Leaso 61; 3. Delbianco 45; 4. Segnini 44; 5. Corsi 40; 6. Cristofani 34; 7. Costa 27; 8. Grotto 26; 9. Meucci 18; 10. Rutigliano 11; 11. Mantovani 10; 12. Meneghetti 10; 13. Zannini 9; 14. Benini 9.
SCOOTER 70cc EVOLUTION AMATORI
1. Pagliaccia; 2. Nuti; 3. De Santis; 4. Maestri; 5. Angeli; 6. Zanetti; 7. Loreto; 8. Prischi; 9. Cecchi; 10. Tarpado; 11. Inversini; 12. Natalia; 13. Zani.
1. Zani; 2. Prisci; 3. Pagliaccia; 4. Zanetti; 5. Nuti; 6. Angeli; 7. Loreto; 8. De Santis; 9. Cecchi; 10. Tarpado; 11. Inversini; 12. Natalia.
1. Zani 78; 2. Pagliaccia 61; 3. Nuti 57; 4. Prischi 51; 5. Zanetti 43; 6. Fogliani 33; 7. Angeli 33; 8. Maestri 31; 9. De Santis 24; 10. Loreto 18; 11. Lussana 17; 12. Modena 16; 13. Ceriotti 14; 14. Cecchi 14; 15. Petrakov 12; 16. Tarpado 12; 17. Menchini 10; 18. Inversini 10; 19. Natalia 8; 19. Nordera 5; 20. Nardini 3; 21. Rossi 1; 22. Brignoli 0; 23. Bortignon 0; 24. Mazzarolo 0; 25. Marchesi 0.
SCOOTER 94 BIG EVOLUTION OPEN
1. Bartolini; 2. Vitali; 3. Ripepi; 4. Morelli; 5. Righetti; 6. Rota; 7. De Carolis; 8. Pelle; 9. Scribano; 10. Frisoni; 11. Mihael; 12. Buna.
1. Bartolini; 2. Vitali; 3. Ripepi; 4. Scribano; 5. Morelli; 6. De Carolis; 7. Pelle; 8. Mihael; 9. Rota; 10. Buna; 11. Frisoni; 12. Righetti.
1. Bartolini 100; 2. Vitali 67; 3. Morelli 64; 4. Rota 42; 5. De Carolis 42; 6. Pelle 35; 7. Ripepi 32; 8. Scribano 31; 9. Righetti 28; 10. Mihael 27; 11. Frisoni 25; 12. Buna 20; 13. Brignoli 14.
PIT BIKE 125cc 4T
1. Camorcia; 2. Cuttitta; 3. Fabbri; 4. Carminati; 5. Lauro; 6. Risi F..
1. Camorcia; 2. Cuttitta; 3. Fabbri; 4. Lauro; 5. Carminati.
1. Cuttitta 90; 2. Camorcia 79; 3. Fabbri 72; 4. Lauro 50; 5. Carminati 47; 6. Risi F. 27; 7. Risi L.; 20. 8. Mammi 19.